Nov 18 2017

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport

United StatesUS

Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport

Puerto RicoPR


Nov 19 2017

The next day we ate breakfast at Condado Vanderbilt and then took a taxi to the cruise port. We had originally scheduled an excursion to El Junque Rainforest, however, because of the damage to roads from the hurricane, we had cancelled the excursion and planned on visiting Old San Juan. Unfortunately, there were multiple thunder storms going through the area that day so we decided to play it safe and go straight to the ship.

By the time we got on the ship, it was lunchtime so we went straight to the buffet with our carry-on luggage for lunch. We ate and then waited around the lobby until our rooms were available at 2pm. After we got to our room, we hung out and waited for the rest of our luggage to arrive. Since it was still raining, there weren't any activities we could participate in. After sitting around our tiny stateroom all afternoon, we were ready to strangle each other by the time it was time for dinner. We ate dinner and then had the muster drill on deck and FINALLY set sail when the rain stopped around 9pm. Our luggage also finally arrived in the room around 9pm.


Nov 20 2017

The first port of call on our cruise was St. Thomas. The island recently underwent sever damage during Hurricane Irma and then Maria. We had closely followed a friend's blog, detailing the aftermath of the hurricanes ( and we were anticipating seeing the recovery efforts.

We took a taxi from the cruise port to downtown and Charlotte Amalie. We walked for a while and then arranged for an island tour departing at noon. Since we had a little while to spend, we walked the market and then had a light lunch and drinks in town.

After the beach, we made our way back to the cruise port along the south side of the island. This side of the island seemed to have faced the most damage from Hurricane Irma. There were still power lines across the roads, roads completely washed away from mud, blue tarps across everyone's roofs, and boats in trees. It is shameful how long this island was left without aid after the hurricane. Hurricane Irma made landfall on September 6th in St. Thomas. We visited on November 20th. Power was restored to the home of my friend a week before Christmas. They were totally dependent on generators for four months.

When the tour was over, we walked the shops in the port for souvenirs. After we re-boarded the ship, we enjoyed the pool and the pool bar. After some showers, we enjoyed dinner in the main dining room. The kids went to "Kid's Club" where they begged to go every night after dinner. Matt and I made good use of the pool bar and the pool tables in the evening.


Nov 21 2017

When we got off the ship, we hired a taxi to give us a half-island tour. The first part of the tour was a 'scintillating' block-by-clock tour of downtown Bassettere that showed us every bank and fast food restaurant downtown. After we got out of Bassettere, we drove north and saw more of where the government officials lived (very luxurious) as well as most St. Kittians lived. (not so luxurious). We passed several historical stops dating back to the first colonization's of the island.

We finally made it to Brimstone Hill.


Nov 22 2017


Nov 23 2017


Nov 24 2017


Nov 25 2017


Nov 26 2017

Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport

Puerto RicoPR

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport

United StatesUS
Share to SNS
Link copied.
Paste it somewhere!